YOU ARE IN:
Stettler officially recieved news by wire that it had become a town on the afternoon of Friday, November 23rd, 1906.
"Stettler is one of the busiest Towns in Alberta" --Edmonton Bulletin
"In four years Stettler has grown from the bald prairie to a town of over 2,000 inhabitants and over one hundred business houses." -- "Canada" London, England
"He had found Stettler the busy town. It has always been. It was depending not altogether on railways but on the rich farming districts surrounding it." --The Hon. C.R. Mitchell, Attorney-General for Alberta
"The town of Stettler was always alive to its possibilities." --Calgary Herald
The town of Stettler was named after Carl Stettler, a native of Switzerland who came to Alberta in 1903 and filed on a homestead 2 miles (3.2 kilometres) east of the present site of Stettler. His homestead was the centre of a Swiss-Germany colony that set up a hamlet with a post office on his land in 1905. The post office was named "Blumenau" and Carl Stettler was the first postmaster.
In the fall of 1905 the townsite, which later became Stettler, was put on the market because the Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR) had just reached this site. The Canadian Northern Railway (CNoR). reached Stettler in 1911.
In the meantime, the hamlet of Blumenau had acquired a lumberyard, two general stores, a tavern, a blacksmith shop, bakery and feed store. Local business owners, recognizing the advantage of rail transportation, moved the hamlet of Blumenau, lock, stock and barrel, to the present site of Stettler. Since Carl Stettler was the first postmaster, the town was named in honour of its most active citizen.
In the spring of 1906, Carl Stettler built the National Hotel on the site of the present Stettler Hotel. This hotel burned down in 1908 and he started to build another, the National Hotel, on the same site in 1909. The hotel was only partly built when he sold his interest to R.L. Shaw who completed the hotel (pictured below). In 1942 The National hotel burned down and was replaced by the Stettler Hotel in 1948. Mr. Wilson Pyper built the first hotel on Railway Avenue, the Alberta Hotel.
Stettler was established as a village on June 30, 1906 and incorporated as a town November 23, 1906. The first school was held in J.B. Griffith's warehouse and the first school building was constructed in 1907 (pictured below is the laying of the cornerstone).
The first bank, The Merchant's Bank, was established in a tent in 1905. The first hospital was a private 8-bed hospital initially set up in a rented building by Dr. Donovan in 1909. In 1912 a 10-bed hospital was operated by Dr. Franchum. Next, a 12-bed hospital was opened by Dr. Creighton in 1914 and in 1915, a 6-bed nursing home was operated by Mrs. Mills.
The first lawyer to establish a practice in Stettler was H.T. Harding who later went into partnership with the late Judge A. A. McGillivray, formerly of Ponoka.
In 1913, the town installed a steam-electric plant with a capacity of 150 kilowatts, later increased to 200 kilowatts in 1923. This plant supplied light and power until the Canadian Utilities power line entered the town in 1928.
Of Stettler's beginnings, author/historian Edith Clark wrote. "Whatever lies ahead, this town holds an unequalled position as having the most astonishing growth of any settlement in the history of Alberta."