Apply for a Business License

Business Licenses

Here you will find all of the application forms and information needed to successfully register your business with the Town of Stettler. Please see all of the PDF Documents required below or use the online form at the bottom of the page.

 If you have any questions about the licensing process please contact the Town Office at   403-742-8305 or by e-mail at

The online Business License Application form is located at the bottom of the page

Home Occupations

Please note that if you are starting a home occupation you will have to complete the following process:

  • Complete and hand in a Home Occupation Application Form to the Town Office with a $75 fee;
  • Include a copy of a letter giving permission from the landlord to operate a home occupation (RENTERS ONLY);
  • Wait for the two week appeal period from the date the home occupation is advertised in the newspaper to be complete;
  • Obtain a valid business license by completing and handing in a Business License Application Form with the appropriate fees.

Health Inspection Classification


Aquatic Facility

Any Business Facility Containing:

  • Swimming Pool
  • Wading Pool
  • Whirlpool
  • Hot Tub
  • Special Use Pool
  • Water Theme Park

Child/Institutional Care Facilities

Child Care:

  • Foster Home
  • Day Home
  • Day Care
  • Playschool/ECS


  • Shelter
  • Group Home
  • Long Term Care
  • Educational
  • Acute Care
  • Correctional

 Food & Beverage Establishment

  • Restaurants
  • Lounges
  • Bars
  • Bed & Breakfast
  • Temporary/Permanent Concessions
  • Day Care/Other Institution
  • Registered Charity or Non Profit

Housing & Accomodations

  • Campground
  • Hotel/Motel
  • Dormitory
  • Work Camp
  • Bed & Breakfast

Personal Services

  • Massage
  • Hair Care/Electrolysis
  • Tanning
  • Esthetics
  • Tattooing/Skin Piercing
  • Fitness/Spa
  • Other Personal Care Services

  Water Services

  • Water Hauler


AMVIC Classification



Means the activity of:

    • Buying or selling vehicles, whether as a retailer or wholesaler, including selling motor vehicles on consignment
    • Leasing vehicles when the term of the lease is more than 120 days
    • Negotiating or conducting  on the consumer’s behalf and agreement in which the consumer buys, sells or leases a motor vehicle
    • Recycling or dismantling vehicles
    • Installing parts or equipment in, repairing or servicing motor vehicles

“Vehicle” means:

  • a motor vehicle defines in the Traffic Saftey Act, but does not include motor cycle or off-highway vehicle as defined in that act
  • a recreation vehicle intended to be towed that combines transportation and temporary living accommodations for the purpose of travel or camping

*Automotive Business Does Not Include:

  • selling of vehicles by manufacturers to dealers
  • cleaning or polishing the exterior or interior of vehicles 
  • repairing chips or cracks in the windshield or any window that does not involve replacing the windshield or window


Automotive Sales License:

A person who holds an automotive sales license is authorized to carry on a class or classes of the activity of buying or selling  vehicles as specified by the Director, including but not limited to, selling vehicles as:

  • a  retailer
  • a wholesaler, or
  • an agent or broker

Automotive Leasing License:

A person who holds an automotive leasing license is authorized to carry on a class or classes of the activity of leasing vehicles as specified by the director.

Automotive Consignment License:

A person who holds an automotive consignment license is authorized to carry on a class or classes of the activity of selling vehicles on consignment as specified by the director.

Automotive Repair License:

A person who holds an automotive repair license is authorized to carry on the activities of:

  • repairing vehicles
  • servicing vehicles
  • recycling and dismantling vehicles
  • installing parts or equipment in vehicles 

(“installing” includes but is not limited to the installation of anti-theft systems, stereo, audio-visual and remote start systems and modification kits.)

Alberta Municipalities  –  Pertinent Legislation, Fair Trading Act Chapter F-2; Alberta Motor Vehicle Industry Council


Major Occupancy Classification


Group A, Division 1
  • Motion Picture Theatres
  • Opera Houses
  • Television Studio admitting audiences
  • Theatres, including experimental theatres

Group A, Division 2

  • Art Galleries
  • Auditoria
  • Bowling Alleys
  • Churches and similar places of worship
  • Clubs, nonresidential
  • Community Halls
  • Courtrooms
  • Dance Halls
  • Exhibition Halls
  • Gymnasia
  • Lecture Halls
  • Libraries
  • Licensed Beverage Establishments
  • Museums
  • Passenger Stations and Depots
  • Recreational Piers
  • Restaurants
  • Schools and Colleges, nonresidential
  • Undertaking Premises

Group A, Division 3

  • Arenas
  • Indoor Swimming Pools, with or without spectator seating
  • Rinks

Group A, Division 4

  • Amusement Park Structures
  • Bleachers
  • Grandstands
  • Reviewing Stands
  • Stadia

Group B, Division 1

  • Jails
  • Penitentiaries
  • Police Stations with dentention quarters
  • Prisons
  • Psychiatric Hospitals without detention quarters
  • Reformatories without detention quarters

Group B, Division 2

  • Children's Custodial Homes
  • Convalescent Homes
  • Hospitals
  • Infirmaries
  • Nursing Homes
  • Orphanages
  • Sanitoria without detention quarters

Page 424, A. Major Occupancy Classification, Alberta Building Code 1997

Please note the following:

  • You will be re-invoiced for the following year until you have advised the Town of Stettler of your license cancellation in writing by completing the "Business License Cancellation" Form and submitting it to the Town Office.


  • In the event that you recommence business, it is the business owner's responsibility to notify the Town of Stettler and purchase another license.


  • Operating a business within the Town of Stettler without a business license will result in a minimum fine of $400.00 plus the balance owing pursuant to Business License Bylaw 1807-09 & subsequent amendment 2044-13.


Fee Schedule

Daily Rate - $100.00

Weekly Rate - $200.00

1 Year Local Rate - $150.00

1 Year Non-local Rate - $350.00

Home Occupation - $75.00 one time setup fee (ontop of regular Business License fee)

Pro-Rate (After September 1)

Local Pro-Rate - $75.00

Non-local Pro-Rate - $175.00

Online Business License Form

This is the form to obtain a Business License for the Town of Stettler.  If you have questions about a section please see the sections above or feel free to contact us at the Town Office (403-742-8305). 

Upon completion of the form, an invoice will be sent out and when payment is received, your license will be processed.  For local licenses, your business information will also be displayed in our business directory on our Town website (

Contact Information

License Information